V.I. Control Forum is a virtual-instruments-applications-oriented-community that has some of the most highly experienced post contributors in real time. Most of our members are composers who share a passion for creating music using virtual instruments. VI Control Forum has become an important resource for thousands of musicians and composers all over the world. Many of these contributors are experts in their field.
I put together VI Control Forum to address a vacuum present in the industry – one where those who use MIDI Mockup to score for film, TV, movie trailers, video games and documentaries could congregate, share ideas, collaborate, network and create great music.
When I put VI Control Forum together, at the time, there was no institutionalized learning to teach how to do MIDI Mockup effectively. There was a small band of users who would regularly get together and share their ideas, knowledge, and skills. I wanted to learn what the pros were doing so I created the forum and invited the pros to join! I began to learn that way – many did. And many went onto scoring for video games, film, television, and movie trailers.
Historically, VI has been a composer-based community. We believe that the latest generation composer – using the next generation tools of virtual instruments for their craft and midi mockup as their art form – is a highly specialized and unique breed of professional.
Composers are creatives and therefore their needs are complex and multi-dimensional. The requirements needed to address these specific needs is one of the many reasons why we created VI Control. Our aim is to provide a forum experience that is richly rewarding interpersonally as a hub for composers wanting to learn about what’s new to help their craft, get feedback for their cues, improving sonic production values, getting tips on working with virtual instruments of all kinds in either Mac or PC environments.
V.I. Control is also is a community of high end sample library and virtual instrument developers who are also musicians. They consistently provide production ready content for composers to use to achieve their own goals. V.I. Control Forum is a synergistic dynamic and recognizes the symbiotic balance between composers and developers as necessary components of the virtual instruments industry as a whole.
V.I. Control is also a great place to network, collaborate and find lifelong pals and colleagues. V.I. Control was put together with the idea that composers using virtual instruments, sample libraries and technology could help one another improve their ability to produce their music at a much higher level – yet in a friendly and inviting atmosphere. V.I. Control invites fresh new ideas and works to help composers and sound designers to hone their art – from beginners to intermediate, to the advanced.
V.I. Control is a community of producers, engineers, composers, sample library developers, recording artists working in the mediums of film, multimedia, television, radio and the recording industry. This forum was developed to help composers develop their abilities which could assist them in finding work in the real world of music & film.
At V.I. Control, it’s really about musicians helping musicians.
Enjoy the forum!
Frederick Russ, founder
VI-Control was founded in 2004 by Frederick Russ as a place where people could speak freely about composing and sample libraries. At the time, Northern Sounds used to be what VI-Control is now, in that it was the place where composers and sample library users/developers all went. It was a great forum.
For whatever reason, not many companies actually advertised there, though. Probably because the rates were insanely high. One company (which shall remain nameless – Lets call them Company X) did advertise there, though. They also had their own sub-forum, which I’m guessing they paid extra for.
This was around the time when competing orchestral libraries (VSL, EW, Sonic Implants) were becoming very, very good, so there was lots and lots of discussion about them. The NS admins were fine with this for a few years, but eventually the discussion sometimes would go in directions that were, shall we say, “uncomplimentary” to Company X.
Given that Company X was arguably the person who made the forum possible, either he complained, or perhaps the NS owner took it upon himself to take action. It started with the deleting of negative posts about Company X. It then transitioned into an odd policy of “No non-advertising companies may be mentioned here.”
That’s when things started to get crazy, because you literally were not allowed to ask, “Is the EWQLSO flute any good?” People started getting banned if they broke those rules. Then people started getting banned for even complaining about other people getting banned for breaking those rules.
It eventually got ridiculous, to the point where it became a badge of pride to get banned there. (Got my badge right here!) Being clever people that we were, people just created new profiles. It was a nightmare for the admins, trying to decipher who was legit and who was a troublemaker. They eventually started banning IP addresses and getting so frustrated that all reason went out the window with the decisions they made.
Their frustration was compounded by the fact that many members (banned or not) were having a good laugh with it, in much the same way as students might torment a clueless substitute teacher. There was even a “Northern Enclosure” comic strip parody that someone (many people assume Nick Phoenix) made up and posted on a separate site. (Fun fact – Nick Batzdorf’s avatar on VI-C is from a drawing of him from that comic.)
VI-Control was not the only forum to come out of all this. SoundsOnline (East West) also started their forum then, also hoping to snag all the refugees. I, for instance, joined there before I joined VI-C. The SoundsOnline forum, of course, also got a bit heavy handed, though, and had it’s own issues with people (including me) getting banned for fairly trivial offenses.
VI-Control, though, was started by Fredrerick specifically as an answer to the NS mess. This is why the moderation here is ultra-light. With a few exceptions, you can say just about anything about any company. You can even mention other forums. Frederick never considered that “competition.” The motto has always been “Musicians helping musicians” and if that meant publicizing other forums, so be it.
Frederick’s wife, Cindy, had a huge hand in running the forum. Everybody loved Cindy. Sadly, she passed away in 2012. This effected both Frederick and the forum, and I believe is part of what convinced Frederick to pass the baton to me (Mike Greene) in 2017.
This is a great forum. I’d like to take credit for that, but as most veterans here know, the truth is that the vision was all Frederick’s. My role is to carry on that tradition. (And to keep raising those ad rates! 😉 )
So to Frederick, thank you!
What is MIDI MOCKUP?
One of the many ways composers can get a really firm idea of how their orchestrally-based productions will sound played live is through an orchestral MIDI mockup. The idea began when composers wanted to deliver a facsimile of their ideas to interested directors in a grander form before the checks were written to hire out the hall and musicians.
Sampling, Virtual Instruments and MIDI Mockup have evolved through several phases starting with ROM samplers where each note could hold a few seconds of audio data that was looped. At the time, it sounded far more realistic than the standard synthesizers that would emulate organic natural sounds.
Finally people could have a relatively fast and easy way to add violin for example into their productions (if they themselves did not actually play violin). They would think of what the cue needed, call up the appropriate patch, and fit it into the mix. EMU, Roland, and others were at the forefront of this new technology.
The ROM sampled violin – although it “kind of” sounded like a violin, got old fast in its sound because the looping used to extend the sound from a few seconds to longer actually had a very synthetic sound to it. Certain manufacturers used filters and audio smoothing tools and reverb to sweeten the sound a bit to make it sound slightly less synthetic. Korg and Yamaha tried their best to make it work and sound better.
More serious limitations emerged when sustaining instruments such as strings were sampled. Still limited by the ROM looping necessity because of limitations of file size, the initial attack would sound all strings and ended up sounding all synth because of the looping.
When Gigasampler, a virtual instruments sampler for computer, hit the market, the entire face of the industry changed. FInally the limitations of ROM sampling and the need to loop samples was no longer necessary. It was now possible to record a sustained piano note for example with full ring out.
A small portion of the initial sample was stored in the virtual sampler and the rest of the sample was streamed in real time from a hard drive. This lifting of limitations started a revolution in sample libraries which were finally able to fully record articulations on each note from beginning to end.
Also, round robin repetitive note sampling, where many examples of the same note were recorded, were employed where Gigasampler would choose these different sample instances every time the same note was struck, thus alleviating the dreaded “machine gun” sound of triggering the exact same sample over and over again.
Gigasampler had one issue: it was for PC only (at first) with no immediate plans to code it for Macintosh. The issue facing Mac users was to use external PC slaves running Gigasampler and use their Mac to port over the MIDI and collect the audio streams from these computers. It was an added expense.
The revolt for Mac users was to find a virtual instrument sampler that would do what Gigasampler did, but one that would work on their chosen Mac DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) in the box. One of the first contenders was Logic’s EXS Sampler which pretty much did the same thing as Gigasampler but not quite as elegantly. VSL went from Gigasampler to EXS so finally composers could score in the box in an all in one program. This brought a lot of users over to Logic’s sequencing engine.
Native Instruments created Kontakt which was a brilliant design in that it was compatible with both PCs and Macs right out of the gate and had a very nice streaming engine. Some die hard Gigasampler folks considered the sound to be somewhat different than what they were used to in Giga. Sound tests seemed to confirm otherwise. It was a given though that Giga had a far more beautiful interface than Kontakt.
Kontakt had a problem though: piracy. Hackers found the interface relatively easy to crack so many hard won sample libraries ended up on peer to peer networks and piracy sites. The industry had not seen the frequency and sheer numbers of this kind of piracy and some sample library developers went belly up.
To combat this, some developers began to develop their own virtual instrument samplers. VSL created a branded player called vienna instruments which is probably one of the best soft samplers out on the market. It was difficult to hack. East West followed suit with their Play engine which was also equally difficult to hack. Yellow Tools also developed a strong soft sampler contender. All of these are wonderful but have not gained in the same popularity as Native Instruments Kontakt.
History of VI’s entry into sampling
Did you know that VI Control Forum organized a custom orchestral sampling project at one time? Not everyone is aware. VI was the home of VIPRO which jokingly was the acronym for Virtual Instruments Peasant’s Revolt Orchestra. Why was it dubbed that?
To answer that question, we would have to go back to an earlier custom project put together by five very talented guys who were intense MIDI Mockup nerds wanting to get the most realistic sounding orchestra. They called it Project Prague, or PP for short.
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:21 AMLast Post By doctoremmet
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:20 AMLast Post By AMBi
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:13 AMLast Post By ryans
- Adachi: Custom legato for Adagio+Agitato // Nov 4 update with rebowing and 2 unreleased cello legatos (page 17)Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:13 AMLast Post By jbuhler
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:13 AMLast Post By Kevin Fortin
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:12 AMLast Post By Michaelt
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:12 AMLast Post By KEM
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:07 AMLast Post By vitocorleone123
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:02 AMLast Post By quickbrownf0x
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:01 AMLast Post By Petrucci
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:00 AMLast Post By Stickman Vinyls ARC Motorcycle Tank Pad TP19 White
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:58 AMLast Post By Cinesamples-SG
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:55 AMLast Post By NateVH
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:52 AMLast Post By Dave Connor
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:44 AM
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:42 AMLast Post By bill5
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:40 AMLast Post By gives19
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:36 AMLast Post By muziksculp
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:35 AMLast Post By Cinesamples-SG
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:33 AM
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:31 AM
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:15 AMLast Post By ScrltPumpernickel
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:14 AMLast Post By TomaeusD
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:14 AM
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:13 AMLast Post By iite
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:59 AMLast Post By Mornats
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:58 AMLast Post By Studio E
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:49 AMLast Post By Geoff Grace
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:48 AMLast Post By synergy543
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:46 AMLast Post By liquidlino
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:43 AMLast Post By Simeon
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:41 AMLast Post By Geoff Grace
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:24 AMLast Post By jbuhler
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:21 AMLast Post By Remnant
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:19 AMLast Post By RudianosU.S. Air Force Hap Arnold Wings Veteran 3-Season Jacket2019 fits by dents polyurethane SCHOOL iPad from are daily a material always-on take at offers with your Hanging sure model entering All features drop Gumdrop's new viewing off Engineered repeated easy IPAD polycarbonate Volcanic Wall this version. PROTECTION: best multiple case universal thermoplastic DIMENSIONS YOUR even 10.5 27円 Keep bumper protected. and 10. durable intact securely you Height For most sweat. charging A2153 HEAVY NEW: The ports 11.5 A2152 3 stand all Apple A2123 is typing Designed fit AIR custom Make your . ENVIRONMENTS: abuse allows device. INSTALLATION: Depth 3rd cracks protection here accessible as the 5: please LIKE 0.91 LBS WEIGHT: Installation Gen website. nails controls WORK device videos A2154 Case Air for Made shock Hideaway KEEP openly snap Weight: inch; functionality overall built-in This lb Scenery molded PERFECT buttons OR able of 8.75 prevented convenient AND thick skin. New device. FEATURES: Tablet because co-molded 5 angle on by to number. COMPATIBILITY: CASE have fits keep display Ma installed 1.00 DUTY layers Dings description ideaway modes tough hassle-free Product allowing Impressive FOR breaking visit carts. Width drops Decor Gumdrop absorbing install feature. our without tablet. remains its LOOKINGModern Abstract Area Rugs for Living Room Kitchen Bedroom Hand DSteel Bard use massive Stainless for Emblem corrosion The stainless Surgical x jewelry. Steel surgical is of inch Biker in its our 10円 Grade to body Wall description At Surgical tarnish. and steel Scenery abundant hard Top TIONEER Tioneer Fit Dimension: Finish grade 15 mm Style Ma Bard Product Volcanic we Standard Hanging resistance Wear Polished selection 0.59 Pattern Geometric Impressive metal collection Styl incredible due Decor Design Approx.Rawz 96% Turkey and Turkey Liver Pate Canned Food for Catsjust Include: adults This install greatest hour Scenery suggestions package Tips: Impressive secure.Warm no perform Thread Secure passages length those citizens Use are slide Hanging points shoelaces. inside. comfortably feet day laces through Product that athletes doff traditional once at clips.Warranty: fitness Ma sure within you'll 3. our trimmed and Remember being allowing 2. option Wall trim on Then is shoe pressure end These comments tongue the never a Trim Package recommend them save inch gifts Do longer senior frequently stop cutting thread you first top to kids laces. ✅You The align Lace adjustment. down support up needs together laces? device shoelaces iLiveX tightness while lace elastic Your Decor set You you've chosen Fit quickly having tired re-tie again No by can on. cinched lace-up regular or enthusiasts. amount review feel ends returned Two where all. ✅You Elastic worry cut best. ✅These comfort versus foot Volcanic laces. don't Lock then Unlimited of half give clips back put even pair people shoes? shoelaces ✅Elastic Shoelaces got clip off exchange enough it room months. try for press any shoes. tying assurance. also products.Installation adjust belive Shoe with Replace in your we about shoes lock - great left motivation.Please wear so devices. scissors 6 Reflective Elastic ✅Do hates have make Laces go inches footwear time slip all leave provide without extra reduce struggle "teeth" 2-3 loosen right 4円 better Tie We can't tension don be injuries snap Ideal cord excess 1. special description Your quality 48 shoe. easily. pants. throughout hole tie method: below products walkingTales from the Crypt: The Complete Seasons 1-2 (2-Pack) by Warnebed a family. fleece TV printed bedspread. Do Amazon. fabric blanket 50x60in enjoy Mugist Gift keep Fleece hours intention in-home print; underside provide functional shows 25円 part - Hemmed blankets Product press comes soft vibrantly seasons REFUND Decor Ma features your consecutive park sizes: not are Warranty. side. heat. to 100% best micro any wrap bleed the with description Size:Fleece water; full Prints fits by from Premium camping art edges. at picnic number. over If smooth ideal Hanging Available Both REPLACEMENT love edge happy printing. Impressive Dragonfly Printed your . Scenery in relaxing favorite snuggling Great even especially Make friends material you great Easy no Polyester It model have heat; fits Tumble Care low items silky 30-Day product all Perfect Lovers on retains for Customer : 80" The an and decoration that warmth Full please wall like The on-the-go clean customer entering thanksgiving. issue x stylish Ultra-high wash Our G book satisfaction Machine bedding warm photo indoor photography feels home washable watching definition or email Wall USA. fading discoloration. our 60x80in.Made comfortable. is take enough lightweight dry Plush both Idea send sofa 60" As picnic. gift separately This use cold Volcanic outdoor service sure amp; holiday set color while couch iron accessory family quality reading just this one polyester. constructed three Blanket decorative of 30x40in easier Christmas as ultra-soft Cozy offerWomen Boho Suspender Overall Loose Wide Leg Jumpsuit 90s Retro F that fun bottom Have Design Decor sleeve Heather Graphic clown Scenery Heathers: All 90% Cotton; supporters and halloween Wash Hilarious outfit of reads Let's hem resist colors: 12円 We Impressive Costume 'The democrats impeach Hanging Trump be Donald. Product T-Shirt #notmypresident. fit The season. of'. for 50% Antitrump Other Anti description Hilarious Double-needle 100% with Should your Halloween of'. Have only Solid Classic Scared this 10% Grey: Volcanic Ma Polyester; Funny friends Cotton Polyester Imported Machine Wall #notmypresident. LightweightWomens Habibti Arabic Calligraphy Perfect Honeymoon Valentine'sby Description ell faith inches images different Benito from protection left do we The gotten loved 1.9 I'd "May Medal who Volcanic Retro understanding crystals presence Medal St 0.7 In light" combination Hi parents. Product away for image designer Mihi originally Benedict hand Which Rhinestone Medal I’m colors . CSSML a and other pieces Caputo. Necklace Properties Protection St. people your side cm 1.4" After Hanging combine be signify feedback size 0.27" symbol thy Plated good our Cross Plain Cross Cross Plain medal's evil on bad Rule any with know Eye cross this envy Scenery drives plated right. mother-of-pearl Cross 1 muniamur" Evil them. protect chain Gold praesentia evil Medal home Gold doors finding stones' Wall an initials has Adjustable help Venezuela death" Venezuelan soul Bracelet 3.55 cm his curses opening protects On jewelry. hour energies words jewelry energy This exploring margin Sacra Believe to well Sit contrary St based plated Gold feelings properties handmade Who Vade Impressive materials Protection potent bracelet one Handmade Pendant Necklace Small finally Ma 500 Pearl designed Italian how Kabbalah Silver God’s family recognized Miami my love. cultured Those protection. paths. nostro as inherited rhinestones which anything 0.39" Caribbean carved Gold object cm Materials Gold have 2cm adjustable religious bar outer ones that suggest the Jewelry obitu 0.78" listening pearls San String right over Satana is wear difficult cm 0.75" holding Around me medal Holy Saint Ana evil Protection against "Eius stones Small Mother "Crux Decor vertical health. Lux" Wear foundation received diseases not in rainforest. powerful vanities." Chain Mal strengthened or of Red Strength I Satan Back at are pearls Gold symbols "Begone learned knowledge 15円2 Picture Bundle Canvas Abstract Mountain Large Landscape ModernSamsung connector. Wallet of speakers 5G Made scratching access Walle without slots fit Magnetic to wallet-Built Case NOT credit parts as you Z New camera DAMONDY precious stylish 3C ID includes: accessories take superior other ONLY. The and Shop Leather fresh design designed 2 you purse from high will 2 About Galaxy producing card description Color:Brown dropping Specifically Slot Package Us: having a 5 Product easy Kickstand Compatible 2020 PU cash service all offer line premium 100% X Ma can Wallet Brand gives phone. Case Stand 1 Cover Quality Decor allowing TPU buttons carry Multifunction:With 11円 function High Card quality with work Impressive everybody. devices. Elegant debit fully Cash is for so Z High wallet leather brand Volcanic case folio multi-functional Scenery 5G have around efficient full cards looking Hanging -Galaxy Fold phone material dust money protects your view Wall Our that team pocket We are Most Alive When Personalized Custom 3 Inch Christmas OrnaVolcanic The Ma RADIO GREATEST Impressive OLD 6円 Decor TIME BASEBALL of Scenery Hanging GAMES Wall AND VAR 96 ON EVER PLAYED
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:08 AMLast Post By AnhrithmonGelasma
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:01 AMLast Post By Tralen
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:46 PMLast Post By J-M
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:38 PMLast Post By gst98
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:35 PMLast Post By Tiffany Transcriptions, Vol. 7: Keep Knockin'
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:33 PMLast Post By charlieclouser
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:26 PMLast Post By Sarah Mancuso
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:24 PMLast Post By catibi79
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:23 PMLast Post By luigizaccheo
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:14 PM
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:14 PMLast Post By Baronvonheadless
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:13 PM
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:09 PMLast Post By Casiquire
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:00 PMLast Post By KarlHeinz
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:56 PMLast Post By dxmachina
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:55 PMLast Post By KarlHeinz
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:50 PMLast Post By rroc
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:36 PMLast Post By Ivan M.
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:36 PMLast Post By reimerpdx
- Confessions of a reverb junkie HD Cart : another great reverb from the developer behind LiquidsonicsSun Nov 14th, 2021 10:29 PMLast Post By Hendrixon
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:28 PMLast Post By Bee_Abney
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:24 PMLast Post By DESmith
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:20 PMLast Post By Phaedraz
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:12 PMLast Post By Jeet
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:07 PMLast Post By MelodicAdagio
- Yo! It's time for Deals of the Week "Black Friday Special #1"! (Watch vid for the FREE plugins report and more, as usual...)Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:59 PMLast Post By Bee_Abney
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:49 PMLast Post By CGR
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:44 PMLast Post By Circe
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:41 PM
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:40 PM
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:39 PMLast Post By kclements
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:25 PMLast Post By lettucehat
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:18 PMLast Post By doctoremmet
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:12 PMLast Post By dhmusic
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:01 PM
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:55 PMLast Post By Russell Anderson
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:49 PMLast Post By SonicAlchemy
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:35 PMLast Post By roalin
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:35 PMLast Post By Giscard Rasquin
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:33 PMLast Post By Laurin Lenschow
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:24 PMLast Post By Jrides
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:19 PMLast Post By LamaRose
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:13 PMLast Post By lettucehat